For any traveller, it is essential to be healthy to enjoy the trip to the core. Though people from all age- groups prior to embarking on a vacation should ensure precautions for the health, it is more important for our older travelling souls.
Here are some pointers the older generation should look into before setting out on an expedition:
- Firstly, if you have a history of weak health, it would be best if you plan a trip in a group or consult with your travel agent and book yourself with a group.
- Ask for the medical facilities available at your destination and keep handy all the emergency numbers of the locality.
- Be aware of your health: this is the most important aspect of all, knowing what your ailment is would be the first step into a smooth travel. Get a full body check- up if needed and carry the medication according to the diagnosis.
- Keep a buffer stock of the medicines you are to take and also know the composition of each. Those of you, who are diabetic and are on insulin, should carry enough syringes with them.
- Always keep with yourself a copy of the guide book of the destination and research well about the climatic conditions prevailing there.
- You may also want to consider getting a flu vaccination before starting out on your journey.
- Prepare a carry- on bag that you need to keep with yourself all the while. In this kit, keep the minimum medical dosage for a few days and some first- aid essentials along with a bottle of water and some light food items including a few bars of chocolate.
- It is advisable to wear loose- fitted clothes while in a flight.
- Avoid wearing costly ornaments as these may attract thieves.
- Keep yourself hydrated at all times and make sure you eat light snacks in between full course means to keep the energy up.
- If you are travelling to a foreign country, keep your passport with yourself at all times and with it the number of your country’s Embassy.
- Keep a light itinerary with appropriate rest gaps to let your body rejuvenate.
- If you have breathing or heart issues, plan a trip to the plains or the beaches, avoiding the high hills as the lack of oxygen in the air may cause problems for you.
- The best medicine is self- awareness, if you feel unwell at any time, raise alarm and seek immediate medical attention.